“All of the pageantry—none of the guilt!”
— Robin Williams
Dear Catholic Friends,
You may have heard recently that the Pope has announced a new “ordinariate” that allows Anglicans and Episcopalians to become Catholics while keeping their Prayer Books, hymns and married priests.
(Is there a special office at the Vatican that comes up with words like “ordinariate”? After all this time they still can’t speak English?)
We want you to know that the Episcopal Church has a much easier portal for Catholics to become Episcopalians: it’s called the front door. Just come on in!
The Episcopal Church receives more Catholic converts than it sends to Rome. Why?
• Mass on Sunday, same as always. Free bread and wine!
• We elect our priests and bishops. They serve us, we don’t serve them, except as fellow Christians deserving our love and support.
• The People govern the Church. We don’t do pronouncements from on high.
• Wonderful music—our congregations like to sing!
• No known pedophile problems. No $100 million victim settlements or diocesan bankruptcies.
• We have a culture of openness, not of secrecy. We expect money to be accounted for.
• You don’t check your brain at the door. We don’t tell you how to think or how to vote.
• Confession aims to be transformative, not legalistic.
• We believe God calls men and women equally. Men don’t tell women what to do.
• Plenty of opportunities for mission and service, peace and justice, caring for Creation.
• We don’t preach shame to anyone, including our Gay sons and daughters.
• We’re all about spiritual growth through the sacraments, prayer, meditation and work.
• Jesus was infallible. Mortals are not.
Come join us. Feel good about coming to church again!
For the nearest Episcopal Church by Zip Code, click here.++